'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

This was my first audiobook. My brother had it and didn't want to read it so I was going to put it in the library book sale. At the last minute I stuck it in my car cassette player and thought I would try it out. I am hooked! It's great to listen to a book driving around town instead of the radio!

This is an older book so I'm behind the times on this one too. I don't usually pick books like this and never watched the movie of it with Robert Redford. A little too sappy for me...I thought!

I ended up really liking it. It brought out a lot of emotion while listening to it, curious if listening vs reading does that? Peter Coyote was the reader.

'A child wounded in body and spirit, a horse driven mad by pain, a woman fighting to save them both and the man who is their only hope.'

13 year old Grace and her friend are out riding their horses on a beautiful winter day after a big snowfall. They are trying to navigate up a steep hill and it is icy under the snow and the horses are slipping. There is a terrible accident and one horse and one girl are dead, Grace and her horse are critically injured. It was so dramatic! I was furious with those girls for not having any common sense and putting those horses at risk! I am an animal lover, what can I say? The horse should be put down but Annie, Grace's mom says no, she feels this horse will be key to her daughter's healing. I didn't like Annie much. She seems a little hard and distant, but you never doubt her love for her daughter. They have a very strained relationship. Grace is very close to her dad, who is open and loving.

The horse is wild with fear and pain and no one will touch him. Annie finds a man in Montana who 'has a way with horses'. He takes one look at Pilgrim and an instant dislike for Annie and says no he can't help. Annie won't take no for an answer and packs the horse and Grace up and drives them from NY to Montana and shows up on Tom's doorstep. Thus begins the healing of Pilgrim, and Grace and Annie. It's a great story, I learned a lot about horses too. It doesn't end all sugar and spice like I thought it would. It has a realistic ending, life is hard and they don't get out of paying the consequences for their choices. I never did grow fond of Annie, but I did understand better why she was like she was and sometimes we need tough people like her in our lives. If you haven't read it yet I highly recommend you do!

Joan, you will love it! Great scenes with wild horses in them!


Peggy Ann

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, the October edition of Books You Loved is live. Here is the link Books You Loved October Edition Please do pop by and link in a post about a book you loved. Maybe this one? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love audiobooks in the car. I never listen to the radio any more. Hope you enjoy many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my shelf, but have not read it.

    Stopping by from Carole's Book I Loved Post.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...