'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, September 15, 2012

Who Wants Pie?







This post is linked to Weekend Cooking @ Beth Fish Reads! Stop over and see what's cooking!







 Lime Meringue Pie

1 baked pie shell

2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup water
4 large egg yolks  (save the whites for the meringue!)
2 tsp. grated lime rind
2/3 cup lime juice   (I used 4 limes)

In a medium size saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, lime rind, condensd milk and water. Stir over moderately high heat for about 5 minutes or until thick.

Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, with an electric mixer on high, beat the egg yolks until thick. Stir about 1 cup of the hot sugar mix into the egg yolks, then return to the saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes or until thickened (do not boil). Stir in the lime juice and pour into the pie shell. Cool while making meringue.

Meringue

4 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Whip egg whites until foamy, add sugar a little at a time and whip on high until glossy and forms stiff peaks, add vanilla and mix in.

Spread on pie, make peaks and bake in 400* oven for a few minutes until browned. Cool 30 minutes and chill at least 2 hrs before serving.

For no weep meringue...
before you whip the eggs, cook 1/2 cup water, 2 tbs. sugar and 1 tbs. corn starch until thicken. Let cool while whipping eggs. Add to meringue after it peaks. (this really does work!)

Pie Time!


19 comments:

  1. I have a soft spot for lemon meringue pie because it was one of grandmother's specialties. It was my favorite pie as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks and sounds delicious. Pie is probably the perfect food - I love nearly every kind - but lemon and lime are at the top of the list. I entered pies at the county fair this week and got two 3rd place ribbons - bet this one would be a Grand Champion. :)O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tami, that's great! We have to have the recipes now!

      Delete
  3. I love anything that has meringue on it and love lemon meringue, though have never made it. Maybe it's time to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I haven't ever made a true meringue. Maybe this is the year... because that pie does look fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pie - and as it happens the next Food on Friday has the subject - lemons and limes! So if you remember please pop over when it goes live to link this in. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip on the meringue. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lime is such a refreshing flavor for pie (or much of anything else). Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the no-weep tip..I will have to try that. It is like a partially Italian meringue...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there - sorry you haven't clicked with the cryptic crossword stuff yet. I was got into it by a girlfriend when I was about 18 and have done them regularly ever since (for more years than I care to think about!). I do find them both entertaining and good brain training - which is why I am trying to spread their popularity through the blog - with, it must be said, only limited success to date. Have a great week. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have such fond memories of making lemon meringue pie with my aunt Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lemon Meringue Pie makes me think of when I was younger. My grandma loved it. I'll have to try this recipe. I LOVE this!

    Bonnie @ www.alittleunhinged.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Bonnie! I will check out picmonkey

      Delete
  12. Oh yum, lime merengue pie... thanks for the sharing the no-weep tip too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...