'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, September 1, 2012

What's for Dinner?


We have cucumbers coming out our ears this year! In desperation of ways to utilize them I decided to try my hand at pickles. I have never done any canning before. And I'm here to tell you it was easy! I found this great recipe for refrigerator pickles and just adapted it so I could can some to save for later. I did not use pickling cucumber, just regular ones. Next year I will pick them when they are about 4-5 inches long though! There is a jar of each in the picture, you can see the difference in color? The half empty jar is the refrigerator ones. They are brighter green and need to be eaten in a couple weeks and of course kept in the refrigerator! They are delicious!

Bread and Butter Pickles

5 1/2 cups (1 1/2 pounds) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers
1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric

1. Combine cucumbers and salt in a large, shallow bowl; cover and chill 1 1/2 hours. Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Drain well, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl.

2. Combine sugar and remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumber mixture; let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

*Don't cut the cucumbers too terribly thin. You want them to have a little bit of crunch to them!

To can them:
In step 2 just put the cucumbers in the vinegar mix and let heat up (I did not let them come to a boil, almost) fill warm jars, seal with lids. Place in a large pan. Fill with water about half way up the jars and heat. Again I brought it just about to a boil but didn't let it boil. Remove from pan and sit on counter to cool. You will hear the lids pop and you know your pickles are sealed! Easy as pie, or should I say cucumbers!

I got 2 1/2 pints from this and the second batch I used 8 cups of cukes and increased the liquid recipe by 1/2. I got 4 pints out of that.

Also made a pot of Tomato soup this week with our tomatoes. Very easy too.

Tomato Soup

4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 slice onion
4 whole cloves
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegans!)
2 tablespoons butter
Clove of garlic crushed (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese rind
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar (or to taste)
Directions

In a stockpot, over medium high heat sauté onions and garlic to release the flavors. Add the tomatoes, cloves, italian seasoning, broth and cheese rind. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Remove from heat and blend in blender or food processor (let cool a little bit!). Pour thru a strainer and discard any stuff left over in the strainer. Reheat if necessary.

Top each bowl with homemade croutons and basil!

*I removed the cheese rind, but you could leave it in to blend, it was soft and gooey by then.

All you need now is a grilled cheese sandwich and you've got a great meal!

This post is linked up with Weekend Cooking over @Beth Fish Reads. Stop over and see what everyone's cooking!

Peggy Ann

14 comments:

  1. I adore cooking and preserving my garden produce. The pickles sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made pickles in years. My mom and I loved to make them, back in the day. They always came out terrible, limp, with a sharp taste, but we had great fun making them. Our favorite part was Naming The Pickles. We would spend hours every year coming up with the names. Perhaps if we'd spent more time making the pickles instead of thinking of names, the pickles would have been better tasting!

    Thank you for reminding me of those wonderful times.

    Here's my Weekend Cooking post.I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I loved your post! My Grandma had very simple wonderful biscuits too!

      Delete
  3. Your tomato soup recipe looks fabulous, I'm going to bookmark this one for sure. Enjoy the holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, we love bread and butter pickles and tomato soup! Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pickles look delicious! I've never made them myself, but my grandma used to make them for us, I should give it a try. Love tomato soup, even better with homegrown tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love homemade tomato soup! It is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE canned tomato soup, but that sounds good. And I am all for the grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to go back to canned after having fresh!

      Delete
  8. Your bread and butter pickles look amazing and the tomato soup recipe definitely sounds like one I would love to try- nice comfort food!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those pickles! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yum! It seems like the season for preserving... all that garden goodness is coming ripe at the same time. Thanks for sharing these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nom, I love home-grown fare. Why are the pickles called bread & butter pickles though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, good question. The best I could find is that they were a staple with Bread and Butter during the depression. Although some argued that the name was around before that.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...