'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, September 8, 2012

Tomato Pie

Tomato Pie
  • 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced                          
  • 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella
  • 1 cup grated cheddar
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm. 
                                                                                serves 6


I have not made this yet, but I am dying to try it with the last of my tomatoes. This is a Paula Deen recipe so it has to be good, right? Hubby says yuk! every time I mention it, so I guess I'll have to make it for lunch and share it with my neighbors!



Weekend Cooking @ Beth Fish Reads is going on now! Stop over and see what's cooking!

12 comments:

  1. I just pinned some Paula Deen crockpot recipes. I should add this one too, my husband and sons would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it sounds yukky at all. In fact, I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simplistic and mouth watering dish, I will have to try this before our tomato season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of this. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tomatoes..cheese...basil. how bad could it be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second caite... sounds like the base ingredients would make for delicious food! Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds so tasty. tomatoes and basil and then a pie crust to set it all off. wowo. Leave out the cheese, or so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this sometime in the last year. I used a recipe from another site but the ingredients were very similar. I loved it, my husband and son were not so fond of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have an abundance of tomatoes to use, and this is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great recipe to use up those delicious summer tomatoes. It looks delicious, I'd have to use supermarket tomatoes, I didn't grow a thing this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our tomatoes from the store (northern Rockies) are coming in pretty flavor-less already, but this recipe is one to remember next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our tomato plants are continuing to produce - hundreds and hundreds of green tomatoes on the vine - so as long as the frost holds off, we'll have tomatos. And I'm out of ideas for what to do with them! So this looks like a delicious recipe to try. You can never go wrong with Paula Dean.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...