'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Key to Preventing Moldy Berries!


Wash them with vinegar!

     When  you get your berries home, prepare a mixture of one part  vinegar (white or apple cider probably work best) and ten  parts water.  Dump the berries into the mixture and  swirl around. Drain, rinse if you want (though the mixture  is so diluted you can't taste the vinegar,) and pop in the  fridge.  The vinegar kills any mold spores and other  bacteria that might be on the surface of the fruit, and  voila!  Raspberries will last a week or more, and  strawberries go almost two weeks without getting moldy and  soft.  So go forth and stock up on those pricey little  gems, knowing they'll stay fresh as long as it takes you to  eat them.

      You're  so berry welcome!
blog signature

8 comments:

  1. LOVE this hint, Peggy. Thanks! I'm definitely going to try it. I hate that raspberries go bad so quickly. I'm also putting this on my food board on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant! I'll definitely try this. I have brambles growing in my garden but I think I'll be using them as soon as they ripen (if they do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrina, I've never had or even seen Brambles!unless we call them something different here.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to try this! So simple. Vinegar is so versatile - my late mother used it for a de-tangler / de-soaper after she washed and rinsed her waist-length hair. Also seemed to bring out reddish highlights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom use to put vinegar on our sunburn, Joan. I will have to use it in my hair foe awhile and see if it brings my red back from my gray :)

      Delete
  4. Good tip. I have been buying tons of berries and hate having to throw any of them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberries are the worst arn't they, Tami!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...