'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, July 28, 2012

Scotch Eyeballs on Weekend Cooking


I first encountered Scotch Eyeballs at a small Scottish festival on a day trip to Geneva On the Lake in Ohio. I had to try something with such a fun name. Of course they have a 'real' name, Scotch Eggs. Went home and found a recipe. They are delicious! Makes a great picnic treat in place of the standard deviled eggs. Or why not surprise the grandkids some morning when their there with 'eyeballs' for breakfast! They are very easy to make. Not sure how 'traditional' this is or if they really call them eyeballs in Scotland. Maybe my gal pal in Scotland, Katrina, can verify this for us?! You might want to stop over at Pining for the West to check out Katrina's Recipes too!

dust hardboiled eggs in flour

mix and divide sausage into equal parts and mold around eggs

dip in beaten egg and water and roll in bread crumbs

deep fry

And you have Scottish Eyeballs! Enjoy!


Scotch Eggs
Here is a simple recipe for making a traditional Scottish dish which is still popular served either hot, or cold at picnics.

Ingredients:
1lb sausage meat
5 hard boiled eggs, with shells removed
1 large raw egg
3oz approx of dry breadcrumbs
Pinch of mace (or nutmeg), salt, freshly ground pepper
Small quantity of flour
1 tablespoon water

Method:
Dust the hard boiled eggs in a little flour. Mix the mace, salt and pepper with the sausage meat and divide into five equal portions. Place on a floured surface. Wrap/mold the sausage meat round the egg, making sure there are no gaps. Beat the egg and water together and coat the meat-covered egg with this and then breadcrumbs (you may have to press the crumbs onto the meat). Deep fry in hot oil (360F/185C) taking care as you put the eggs into the oil. Cook for about 5/6 minutes. If you don't have a deep fat fryer, they can be cooked in oil in a frying pan, turning frequently to ensure the meat is fully cooked.

Drain and serve hot or allow to cool and keep in a refrigerator for a cold snack later.

While your cooking you might as well listen to some Scottish music. This is Canadian Scots, Buddy MacMaster and his niece Natalie MacMaster, from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Both of them are incredibly talented on the fiddle! If you ever get a chance to see Natalie perform in person, GO! She puts on a wonderful high energy show.

Check out her website for more info on her and lots of recipes under the recipe tab! I even have one posted there for Irish Stew!



 Natalie doing a jig!


This post is linked to Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads. Stop over and see what others are cooking up this weekend!

17 comments:

  1. Those eggs look great -- I love the way the yolks look like eyes when you cut them in half. Great videos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them as eyeballs instead of eggs :) They look delicious whatever they call them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly "eye-catching"! :-)

    Here's my Weekend Cooking.Please stop by and share your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I agree! mine got so dark this time. The oil was fresh. Hmmm...

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of Scottish eyeballs; how clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We call them Scotch eggs in NZ. In fact this and Toad in the Hole were just about the first thing I ever cooked

    Hope you are having a nice week. My Weekend Cooking contribution was a salmon pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Toad in the hole an egg cooked in a piece of toast with a hole cut out?

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of those, but I bet my husband would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We call them Scotch eggs in Scotland but I've always thought of them as an English food as they usually involve pork, and Scots normally prefer beef to pork. Also, we tend not to call anything 'Scotch', that's what the English call whisky. But I've been known to eat a few, they're good for picnics as you say, I've never actually made them. From now on I'll call them eyeballs, I wish you could pass me one! Thanks for the mention.
    BTW - Toad in the Hole is very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input Katrina. I will stop calling my whiskey, scotch! wonder if you can make them with ground beef instead of sausage?

      Delete
  9. What a fun dish! I'd definitely eat those at a picnic given the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would try these once as long as some one else made them. I'm not a deep fryer, but I do like the crispy texture. Also, I vote for calling them eyes, much more fun than eggs.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...