'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, July 23, 2012

Jo Nesbo


Known for his award winning Detective Harry Hole novels, Norwegian author, Jo Nesbo, was born in Oslo in 1960. Jo is also the lead singer and song writer for the Norwegian band Di Derre and has written three children's books. He has a degree in Economics and Business Administration and worked as a freelance journalist and stockbroker before beginning his writing career.


There are nine Harry Hole novels, seven have been translated into English. The order they were written in is a little confusing because they were not translated in order. For a nice list of the books in the correct order go here.

The series follows Harry Hole, a tough detective working to solve crimes on the streets of Oslo. He takes on murderers, bank robbers, gangsters and the establishment. The Harry Hole novels are violent and often feature women in peril, as typified by Snowman.

I won a copy of The Snowman in a blog giveaway over at The House of Crime and Mystery. It was quite different from my normal fare, but I did enjoy it. It was fast paced, addictive and edgy. Would I read another in the series? You bet! This series would make a great TV series!

from Amazon's book description:
'One night, after the first snowfall of the year, a boy named Jonas wakes up and discovers that his mother has disappeared. Only one trace of her remains: a pink scarf, his Christmas gift to her, now worn by the snowman that inexplicably appeared in their yard earlier that day. Inspector Harry Hole suspects a link between the missing woman and a suspicious letter he’s received. The case deepens when a pattern emerges: over the past decade, eleven women have vanished—all on the day of the first snow. But this is a killer who makes his own rules . . . and he’ll break his pattern just to keep the game interesting, as he draws Harry ever closer into his twisted web. With brilliantly realized characters and hair-raising suspense, international bestselling author Jo Nesbø presents his most chilling case yet—one that will test Harry Hole to the very limits of his sanity.'


Watch this video of Jo talking about the Harry Hole character!



This post is linked to Mysteries in Paradise Crime Fiction Alphabet:the Letter J!

Peggy Ann

7 comments:

  1. Peggy - Thanks for this profile of one of the most successful crime fiction writers in recent years. I like the Harry Hole novels myself so I'm very glad you highlighted them. It's interesting too that Nesbø has such a varied background and range of interests. And what's not to like about musician. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is certainly a talented fellow! Did you click on the band name and listen to a song?

      Delete
  2. I like this author too. He is very interesting. I read Redbreast and liked it especially because it has flashbacks to events in World War II and deals with repercussions from those events in the present. I have the next two in the series to read soon.

    I just saw your Wish List page. What a great idea! I am losing track of all the new authors I want to look into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't lose it put here on the blog, Tracy! I wish we could do columns though.

      Delete
  3. What a diverse range of crime authors to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I really want to read his work. I hope they make his books into movies someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't Harry Hole make a great TV star? Now who could play him?

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...