'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, July 9, 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet

This week's letter is H

I am using a review I did a while back for this letter...'The Housekeeper' by Beverly Cochran. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This is not a typical 'crime' novel as there is no murder. There is an Inspector (Sim) and a crime though. There is a second book by Ms. Cochran, 'The Visit' that also features Inspector Sim. Ms. Cochran only wrote 2 books which is a shame as she was a good writer.

Beverly Cochran was born in Liverpool and educated at Manchester University. She worked in Chicago, Salford and London in publishing and teaching. Head hunted from Pimlico to Peterhead to be the first woman teacher in Scottish prison, she adapted to life within the walls of the maximum security prison. Here she learned to understand the Glassgow patter. At the same time in the fishing town she learned the local Doric speech. She wrote a book about her Inside Job which was highly praised by Lord Longford. She then married a solicitor who was the laird Balfour, a small estate in royal Deeside another world altogether and became a full time writer while raising five step children and a baby son of her own. Her first novel The Housekeeper was successful and she cooperated with her brother in turning it into a film script. Beverly Cochran is an extraordinary story teller who mixes singular life experience with a potent imagination and a wry sense of humor. People who meet her never forget her. (from Amazon)

Go here to see my original post on this novel!
Check out a preview read of her second novel 'The Visit' here



Click image to purchase
Click image to purchase



This post is linked to Crime Fiction Alphabet @ Mysteries in Paradise  Check out the other links for the letter H!

10 comments:

  1. Intriguing. Beverly Cochran sounds very interesting. The first book also sounds good. Hope it is not too hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Peggy, this sounds really interesting! I like the setting and it sounds like an intriguing mystery. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Margot. Thanks for stopping over!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting--I like the sound of the first book. Not one that I'd heard of before. Thanks for highlighting it. Here's my Letter H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bev, I saw it mentioned on Scottish Vegan Homemaker and went looking for it.

      Delete
  4. Too bad she only wrote the two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard about the book before but I love the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like something I would definitely be interested in reading, Peggy. Thanks for the introduction to a book and author I'd never heard of before. It sounds like a nice break from murder and general carrying on - book-wise, I mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice break, Yvette. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...