'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, June 9, 2012

Weekend Cooking With Beth Fish Reads

Click to purchase new or used!


With summer finally here I thought I would share this great salad recipe for your picnics! It is delicious, I couldn't keep my fork out of the serving dish:)

Green Bean and Corn Salad with Tomato-Tarragon Vinaigrette 
Prep       15 minutes plus 30 minutes standing time
Cook       about 15 minutes
Serves    6

1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1 cup fresh corn kernels
2 tbsp. white-wine vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. fat-free mayonnaise
2 tsp. water
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 beefsteak tomato, diced
1 large shallot, minced
3 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
3 tbsp. chopped fresh chives

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the green beans and return to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Add the corn and cook until the green beans and corn are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Rinse the vegetables under cold running water; drain well.

Combine the vinegar, oil, mayonnaise, water, pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the tomato, shallot, tarragon, and chives. Add the green beans and corn; mix well. Let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes before serving to blend the flavors.

Per Serving (1 cup): 81 Cal, 2 g Fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 0 mg Chol, 121 mg Sod, 15 g Carb, 4 g Fib, 3 g Prot, 45 mg Calc.
Points value: 1

Good Idea If you make this salad when corn and beefsteak tomatoes are not in season, use 3 plum tomatoes and 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed and skip cooking the corn in step 1

I didn't take a photo when I made it so here is a pic of the pic in the book!
 
No one in my house is on Weight Watchers, but my hubby is always trying to lose weight so when I saw this at a thrift store I picked it up. I like the layout of the page and the gorgeous pics with each recipe. I did not have tarragon in the house and just omitted that ingredient. It was delicious! Of course these recipes don't help hubby lose weight because he has 3 helpings:) But who could eat just one cup, really! I will have to fix his plate and hide the rest I guess!

This post is linked to Beth Fish Read's Weekend Cooking, where everything tastes SO good! 

21 comments:

  1. That looks like an appetizing salad. I like your header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about the pics in a cookbook.
    well, not all, but it is an important factor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS a wonderful picture...think I will make this. Always looking for good, summery side dishes...

    Your dog paddling photo is GREAT :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always on the lookout for good salad recipes. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do not worry about the Esmeralda-that is my real middle name, my IPAD does the same thing. at least it is not reverting it to something horrid. Before I saw them i had no idea about an artichoke plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a refreshing summer salad, my family would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good salad! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally something vegetarian for you uniflame!

      Delete
  8. HOw refreshing, a salad not based solely on mounds of green leafy stuff. Very yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am and the green bean salads seem to go over very well at picnics. They are different.

      Delete
  9. We're trying to eat more veggies, and this is perfect. Thanks for sharing!
    Here's My WC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki you will need to eat more veggies after you are done with the desserts on your post! Yum!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice salad and looks healthy too! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just thinking - I have everything except the tarragon - so, like you I'll just skip that. We will feel virtuous while eating all those veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtuous, hmmm I will have to make this more often then.

      Delete
  13. Oh yeah. I love summer salads and tarragon is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how cute are the dogs in your header! The recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks delicious- especially with the fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious. I could see not be able to stop at one serving!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...