'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, May 12, 2012

Weekend Cooking

  
Pasta by Eric Treuill & Anna Del Conte



I got this cookbook for Christmas a couple of years ago and I use it all the time. Simple fresh recipes with few ingredients. Haven't tried one yet we didn't like.
It is has chapters on THE PASTA - which pasta?, which sauce?, Strands and Ribbons, Tubes and Shapes, How Much Pasta?, the salt, the boil, the bite, the drain, the toss. THE RECIPES - Pasta w/ Tomatoes, Pasta w/ Butter and Cheese, Pasta w/ Mushrooms, Pasta w/ Seafood, Pasta w/ Meat, w/ Olives and Olive Oil, w/ Greens and Herbs, w/ Beans and Lentils, w/ Garlic, w/ Peppers and Eggplant,and Fresh and Filled Pasta. And ending with several short chapters on tips, planning, size guide etc. And beautiful pictures of each recipes (some with several variations).

Here are a couple for you...

Crispy Pancetta and Scallions                serves 4

8 pancetta or bacon slices, smoked or unsmoked
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 scallions, sliced
1 lb. dried pasta
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
salt and pepper to taste
additional freshly grated Parmesan to serve

Cook pancetta, turning frequently, in a skillet over medium low heat until browned and crisp, 10 min.. Drain on paper towels and cut into 1 inch wide strips. Pour off excess fat from skillet. Add butter and oil to skillet and melt over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring constantly, until just soft, 2 min. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water, until firm to the bite. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Add pasta with Parmesan and pancetta to scallions. Toss well to coat, adding reserved water as needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan.

Which pasta?
Tubes or shapes - penne, rigatoni, gnocchi, conchiglie.

Cooks' note.
Try and match the size of the pasta to the size of your ingredients. Cut the pancetta into pieces that can be easily caught in the hollow of the pasta shape.

My note: I used conchiglie (shells Medium ones) and added some asparagus I had in the fridge. Everyone raved about.




There are also lots of recipes vegetarians could make or adapt. If you love pasta this book is for you!

This post is linked to Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking, where you will find lots of links to yummy things to eat and read!

8 comments:

  1. I have one pasta cookbook, but use the same recipes again and again. I will have to venture on to different pages and see what they have on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the addition of asparagus to the first recipe. This book looks like a great resource. I like the tips (cook's notes and think ahead).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both recipes sound delicious. I am sure I would love this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These recipes sound nice and light, for pasta dishes. I may try the lemon one this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this book! Especially few ingredients. I also love the idea of mixing and matching the type of pasta to suit the recipe (and the size of the ingredients). I've never thought about it that way before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like this is a great pasta cookbook! I love that it gives you options with the pasta. I need to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking in to Food on Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...