'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, May 25, 2012

A Vulgar Tongue

Just for fun let's post some archaic vulgar language!

These are from a copy of the 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue by Frances Grouse.

Yep, that's a real book and I bet the author would roll over in his grave if he heard some of the things we say today!

Here we go...

Addle Pate: An inconsiderate foolish fellow

Addle Plot: A spoil sport

Ankle: A girl who is got with child, said to have sprained her ankle

Apple Dumpling Shop: A woman's bosom

Bag of Nails: He squints like a bag of nails, his eyes are going every where like the points of nails in a bag

Banging: Great, a fine banging boy

Beau- Nasty: A slovenly fop, one dressed finely but dirty

Bingo Mort: A female dram drinker

Bitch Booby: a country wench

Bleached Mort: a fair complexioned wench

Bufe: a dog

Bulk and File: Two pickpockets, the bulk jostles the party to be robbed and the file does the business

Bum Fooder: soft paper for the necessary house

Bushels Bubby: a full breasted woman

Catch Fart: a foot boy, so called from servants following close behind their master or mistress

Cavaluting School: a bawdy house

Cheeser: a strong smelling fart

Chicken breasted: a woman with scarce any breast

Clyster Pipe: a nickname for an apothecary

Cod head: a stupid fellow.

Well that's all for now, I'm off to the Clyster Pipe.





3 comments:

  1. What a laugh, I don't know which one is my favourite but I am glad I've not had too many sprained ankles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of these terms before, but they're great. One suggestion, I would love to follow you but you don't have a followers gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been one of my favorite books since I found it in the mid 1970s, *and* it's the reason why I don't call mature women "old bats" anymore! LOL It's wonderful to see someone else find and appreciate it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...