'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, May 5, 2012

Quiet Evening in Maryland

The sun is setting and we are sitting outside. The neighbors horses are grazing in the field behind us, the kids are playing on the trampoline, Selah brings me her ball to throw every now and then and I'm waiting for the deer to come out along the edges of the wood.







The Artist and The Fitness Gal are gone to youth group and the kids and I are on our own for the evening. We played a game of Farkle and the 4 year old gave us quite a run for our money! Baby Girl won in the end though.

Tomorrow, The Traveller will be coming in and we are going on a picnic to Cunningham Falls State Park and hike up to the waterfall. Monday we are headed home.

Today Fitness Gal took me to a wonderful bookstore crammed with old books in Waynesboro, Pa. They had a stack of John Dickson Carr books! And a good stack of Agatha Christie books that I have not read. I exercised restraint and only bought one of each. 'Cards on the Table' by Christie and 'It Walks By Night' by Carr. I saw a review today on the Christie book over at The Book Jotter and thought I have to have that book and there it was! That's one of those little Joy moments! Also got 'Past Malice' by Dana Cameron on the $1 table. In Berkley Springs, W.V. On Wed. I found three good ones at a used bookstore there...'Elsie Dinsmore #1'. another Carr - 'The Three Coffins' and a double book by John Buchan.



After a brief intermission to wash the dog (after she rolled in horse poo!) the kids fed the horses some grass and carrots


We gave up on the deer coming out tonight and came in to get ready for bed, pop some popcorn and watch 'Tin Tin'. I've never seen it and the kids are so excited to show it to me. Baby Girl is going to marry Tin Tin, you know!q

9 comments:

  1. Lovely post. We have been watching the super moon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got real cloudy here and we couldn't see it:(

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful place to bring up kids and it's near a good second-hand bookshop, it sounds and looks like heaven. Great haul of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said when I got in that old bookshop, I'm in heaven! We have none near my house. Yes this is a great location and it is beautiful here sitting down in a valley. The neighbor has a peacock too and you should hear him when he calls! No kids around though for the kids to play with.

      Delete
  3. One of the many joys of buying books is the remembrance of where and when they were bought. Just looking at them brings back a vacation memory. The best of souvenirs!
    I'd love to see (have!) horses in a field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peggy,

    It sounds like an idyllic place to raise children, it's just a pity that they don't have any playmates to interact with.

    Looks as though you have been enjoying some warm Spring sunshine. Here in Somerset, UK, after a mini heatwave in March, April was the wettest on record and May isn't looking much better .. and it isn't even warm! The good news is that we are still officially in a drought situation and are likely to remain so all year!!!!! ...

    I can't believe that you were so restrained with the Agatha Christie purchases, I wouldn't have been able to help myself!!

    I keep setting myself a book buying ban until I have got through some of my TBR mountain .... it just can't be done, there is too much temptation in the charity shops, where books can be bought at very reasonable prices.

    A lovely family post, thanks for sharing.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read the two John Buchans I think, certainly 39 Steps, and loved them. I'm slightly odd in that I prefer dramatised Agatha Christies to the books - Poirot, Miss Marple and so on - huge favourites with me.

    Such a lovely area you live in. I know Maryland a little bit as we have friends in Pittsburgh and have visited them and travelled through PA and Maryland to Baltimore. From there we went down the long peninsula (can't remember the name for it) to the Chesapeake Bay bridge and crossed that to Virginia. What a wonderful holiday that was.

    I love your blog so will be following it from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, thanks for stopping over! I live just north of Pittsburgh, this is my sons home in MD. and it is a very beautiful area. Lots of history too! I really prefer those wonderful Mystery shows of agatha C. also but occasionally like to read the book. Talk to you later!

      Delete
    2. Ah, I missed the little sentence, 'Monday we are headed home'. Our friends too live just north of Pittsburgh, Gibsonia to be precise. We've visited several times and love their area to bits and are longing to go back. One day hopefully. I don't know what you call the English equivilent of an American Anglophile... English people who adore America that is... but that's my husband and myself.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...