'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, May 26, 2012

Murder on the Rocks by Karen MacInerney

click to purchase
This fun cozy is set in one of my all time favorite places - Maine. The Cranberry Islands to be specific. So we have ferries to the mainland, lobster-men and boats, storms, the gossip at the one general store where everyone congregates, summer folks and islanders and a cozy old Inn. All the wonderful things that I love about Maine. And, we have a mystery! Who killed resort developer Bernie Katz? Could have been anyone, he was a sleazeball who was determined to build a large resort on Cranberry Island no matter what it took or who he stepped on to do it. But the mainland detective investigating the murder is sure the Natalie, new owner of the Gray Whale Inn, is the guilty party and he doesn't seem to interested in looking anywhere else.

Natalie Barnes left her job in Austin TX. And bought the 150 yr. old Sea Captain's house and opened an inn. She was hoping for a quiet, laid back island life, but she got a lot more than she bargained for! Someone wants her off the island and it looks like they don't care if it's dead or alive. And with Det. Grimes determined to pin the murder on her she needs to get to the bottom of this and clear herself if the police aren't going to do it.

I really enjoyed this mystery and am looking forward to reading more by this author. This is the first in a series of 4 so far. I got the Kindle edition free a while back. But... I have to warn you - you'll gain 5 lbs. just reading this book! Natalie is always thinking about what to cook for her guest for breakfast getting ingredients out and whipping up yummy things like cranberry scones, wicked blueberry coffee cake, brownies, egg casserole and raspberry streusel . There are several of the recipes at the back of the book! Here is one of them..

Wicked Blueberry Coffee Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 cup sour cream or vanilla yogurt
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour

Cream the butter and sugar. Add next six ingredients. Add the 2 cups of flour and sour cream or yogurt alternately to egg mixture, mixing with a spoon. Fold in blueberries. Pour mixture into greased 9"x13" baking pan. In a separate bowl, cream brown sugar and remaining butter. Add flour to get a semi-dry mixture. Spread on top of batter. Bake in 350* oven for 30 minutes.

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking @Beth Fish Reads! Stop over and see what's cooking!
For a great review of book two in this series and a 'wicked' good Peach Sunrise Coffee Cake recipe visit Caite @ A Lovely Shore Breeze

Peggy Ann

16 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. That coffee cake sounds delicious.

    My husband and I went to Maine a couple years ago, and the food was excellent. I still dream of lobster rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I loved this book too..a very fun cozy...and yes, she is quite the baker isn't she/ I wish I had one of Natalie's famous brownies right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caite I wanted to get home from our trip while reading this so I could get busy in the kitchen! Don't know which one to make first.

      Delete
  3. I love Maine too (we visit as often as possible). I really need read this mystery for the location and the recipes. Blueberry cake? I'll take a piece or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to getting back there. We have missed 2 summers now. Next year for sure! The 3rd in this series is on Kindle for 1.99 right now.

      Delete
  4. Haha, I love the title of your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicked is a word used a lot in Maine for really good, Uniflame. I love it!

      Delete
  5. The coffee cake sounds delicious. I'd love to read that book, sounds like some delicious recipes mixed in with a big mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The third book in the series is on Kindle right now for 1.99! I just got it. Hope there are more recipes!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a fun series, and the recipes look delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Peggy! Sorry I am just now showing up from Weekend Cooking - LOL! But it is a three day weekend after all!

    I'm glad I made it cause this sounds like a great book AND recipe! I am putting the book on my TBRs because it sounds perfect for me!

    http://libbysbookblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/weekend-cooking-in-venice.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, I'm just now at 10:30pm getting around to roaming around on Weekend Cooking so don't feel bad! I'm on my way over to your blog now.

      Delete
  8. Blueberries and coffee - great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried roasting corned beef - thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I read this one but never got any farther in the series. Maybe I should pick up the series again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same way about both the book, and the recipes! I look forward to making most of them. :<)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...