'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, April 7, 2012

Tomato Mac and Cheese

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking @ Beth Fish Reads

Tomato Mac and Cheese                                             

Salt and pepper                                             
1 lb. elbow macaroni
1 28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes                
6 tbls. unsalted butter
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 c. Half & Half  (half milk & half heavy cream)                                            
1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
4 c. shredded mild cheddar cheese
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

  1. Cook Macaroni Adjust oven to middle position and heat oven to 400*. Bring 4 qts. water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Stir in 1 tbls. salt and macaroni and cook until just al dente, about 6 min. Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour diced tomatoes with their juices over pasta and stir to coat. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid is absorbed, about 5 min.. Set aside.

  2. Make Sauce Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Stir in flour and cayenne and cook until golden, about 1 min. Slowly whisk in half and half and broth until smooth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 15 min. Off heat, whisk in cheeses, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper until cheeses melt. Pour sauce over macaroni and stir to combine.

  3. Bake Macaroni an Cheese Scrape mixture into 13x9 inch baking dish set in rimmed baking sheet and bake until top begins to brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 to 15 min. before serving (otherwise it could be soupy).


Make Ahead: Macaroni and cheese can be made in advance through step 2. Scrape mixture into 13x9 in. baking dish, cool, lay plastic wrap directly on surface of pasta, and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap, cover with foil, and bake for 30 min. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 15 min. Let sit for 10 to 15 min. before serving.

                                                                         Serves 8-10

This is an America's Test Kitchen recipe. I halved it and it served 3 of us with several helpings and still had leftovers!

And just for fun check out this short video from Tom and Chee's on how to make a Blueberry Bleu Grilled Cheese Donut! I'm on my way to Cinncinnati now, meet me there! (You might need to expand the video screen if the visual doesn't come up)

31 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely and easy! I would have to replace the chicken broth for vegetable to make it vegetarian. Oh and what is meant by half and half? Half and half what? Milk? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uniflame, half and half is half milk and half heavy cream. It is sold that way here in America. I use it in my coffee all the time. Sorry I forget that people from outside of America read this too!

      Delete
  2. I saw that on ATK's TV show recently..
    I. MUST. MAKE. IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you get their email newsletter, Caite? I always miss the show but not the recipes!

      Delete
  3. I too recently saw this and decided I need to try it. Love ATK and love that you featured them today too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good! My grandma used to make tomato mac and I'd pick out the tomatoes. Not any more, love it. Will have to try the ATK recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol the mix of cheese really does make this a winner!

      Delete
  5. This seems really kid-friendly! I will bookmark it because I am always looking for things to feed the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomatoes are so good for you too. Not so sure my grandkids will eat it though, we'll see this summer when they come!

      Delete
  6. Something different-- never heard of tomato mac and cheese. Thanks for giving me something new to try :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me also Jama. We loved it!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe that I have gone all my life without really knowing anything about ATK. I loved Beth Fish's post today about Cooks Illustrated and now you've convinced me that I really need to do some more researching! And thanks for the mac and cheese recipe. I've been on the hunt for one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great variation to my traditional mac and cheese... even better that it comes from ATK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely JoAnn! I have lots of mac N cheese eating to do to make up for all those years of 'traditional'!

      Delete
  9. Yum, yum. Thanks for this, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish The Old Man would eat tomatoes. This sounds like a good one to try when he goes out of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fay, you could always make two small ones and put tomatoes in yours!

      Delete
  11. This sounds like a good family friendly recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one I will make all the time now!

      Delete
  12. I have a little niece visiting this week and she says this sounds like her find of meal. So thank you for the recipe and I think we are going to give it a try this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bon Appetite Alex! Hope you have a great week with your niece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Number one: I love your quote from Montgomery on top... I am a book drunkard as well. Number two: I love your plates. This is the pattern we had growing up. (We have very similar pictures on our post:) Number three: I love a good mac and cheese recipe, so I will be writing your down. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this recipe,it uses all the regular foods kept in and seems quick and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tomatoes don't make the sauce runny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Tasha, because you add the tomatoes to the macaroni and cook it alittle bit so the mac absorbs the tomato juices then you add it to the sauce.

      Delete
  17. You know, I've never thought of adding tomato! It sounds yummy, though.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just wanted to thank you for following my blog. To "spread the love” I have clicked through to some of your commercial content.
    Carole’s Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole although I'm not sure what you mean by commercial content. Didn't know I have any on the blog:)

      Delete
  19. Peggy Ann,

    Doesn't it bother you that not one of your idiot readers bothered to try this dish and comment on it. These posts are a bunch of nothing. They mean absolutely nothing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Peggy Ann,

    Doesn't it bother you that not one of your idiot readers bothered to try this dish and comment on it. These posts are a bunch of nothing. They mean absolutely nothing!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...