'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, March 10, 2012

Weekend Cooking

This post is linked to Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking!

Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty in the pan,
If you can't make boxty,
You'll never get a man.

Boxty (Irish Potato Griddle Cakes)

2 cups grated raw potatoes
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
Ground pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (more or less as needed)
1 tbls. butter or oil (or more as needed)

1.  Mix together the raw and mashed potatoes.

2.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper, then add to the   potatoes. Stir in the beaten eggs, mixing thoroughly.

3.  Add the milk until it makes a batter.

4.  Drop by the  tablespoonful onto a hot buttered or oiled frying pan and cook  over moderate heat until browned (3-4 minutes per side). Serve hot with butter or a tart applesauce.

                                                    serves 6 

If this recipe doesn't work out for you and you still want a man, there's always the Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival in County Clare...


It will soon be March 17 the day we are all Irish! Thought I would would share a little Irish with you all. I do have Irish on both sides of my family, my paternal grandmother was a Gallagher.  Some day I will get to go to Ireland!

This is a great site for Irish recipes - O Reilly's Recipes on Youtube. Here he is making Boxty for you!




and here are some photos for you to enjoy!
Ben Bulben
 W.B. Yeats is buried at the foot of Ben Bulben
The Giants Causeway

Poison Glen, Donegal
Conemarra

Gleninchiquin, Beara Penisula, Co. Kerry

Galway
Inishmore

Portrush, Whiterocks Beach. Co. Antrim

Isn't it a beautiful place? Click on the links at the bottom of some of the photos for more info! I will never want to come home if I every get there!
Happy St. Pat's Day!

March 17th a giveaway begins for the Lucky Leprechaun giveaway! I'll be giving away a great book set in Ireland written by an Irish doctor. See the right sidebar at the top! Be sure to come back and enter on the 16th!

29 comments:

  1. Peggy - What a GREAT POST! (I'd better learn to make boxty - right?) I love the Ireland pics. The Giant's Causeway is on my bucket list! I like your new banner pic, but at the same time I miss the old doggy pic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be back another day Libby! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It really IS a beautiful place...I've always wanted to visit. One day... And what a cute rhyme. Must try making for St. Patty's day this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun. I had no idea what boxty was but how can you go wrong with an Irish version of potato pancakes? I've never mixed raw with cooked before, but I can see how that would work. Now I want bacon and eggs and . . . boxty!

    Loved the video and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a potato freak! It must be the Irish in me. I could live on them. Thanks for the tweet too!

      Delete
  4. Aww...I remember eating boxty in Dublin once..I also have been just about every one of those places in the lovely pics.
    Love the header...be careful crazy Irish doggie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had boxy a couple of nights ago at an Irish pub in Kansas city -- just before going to a Chieftains concert! It was a great night! We're going to Ireland in June, so I will definitely explore all of these links. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to hide in your luggage Joy! and it sounds like you did have a wonderful night!

      Delete
  6. I was lucky enough to go to Ireland years ago, and your post took me right back there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boxty! Must try it. Love all your photos and the video. I've only been to Dublin but would love to visit the Irish countryside. Best I can do now is watch reruns of Ballykissangel :). Beautiful banner photo, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ballykissangel is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  8. Fun post! I'd love to try the Boxty! Beautiful pictures, you're right, I think it would be too hard to leave such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful Irish posting!! I posted a boxty recipe just last March! It's just a little bit different.

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2011/03/boxty-on-st-patricks-day.html

    Now to go watch this video! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe sounds great to me, as I never met a version of a potato that I didn't like :)

    When I visited your blog this morning you had a different banner, right? I just want to make sure I'm not losing my marbles, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I changed the pic this morning! You have all your marbles still:)

      Delete
  11. I like both your recipe and the one on the video. This is so timely. I'll give it a try next Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, I loved Ireland when I visited. The combination of raw plus mashed potato would work well, I think. Love the header for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my regrets is not getting to Ireland when I lived in the UK. Next time I am over that way I am definitely going.

    Loved your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just called these potato cakes when I was growing up.... Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those pictures look amazing!! And you are right, I might need to try that recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will have to try this recipe. Sounds like it would please the men in my family. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. I had never heard of boxty before. Despite being geographically closer than some, I have only been to Ireland once and that was for a training event I ran in Belfast. Food was lovely though!. Hubby has suggested a fishing trip in search of that elusive monster that got away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all of the lovely pictures!
    Im a new follower by email and twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa I'm so happy to meet you and thanks for subscribing!

      Delete
  19. Lovely photos. I'll have to try making boxty with gluten free flour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the quote and beautiful pictures of Ireland. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was actually in Antrim last year and had a potato dish very similar to that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, Antrim is one the first places I want to see! I think C.S. Lewis was born around there. I am dying to go to the Christian Fellowship Church there too! It looks like such a beautiful area.

      Delete
  22. Oh how cool! I have made several attempts at potato pancakes and they haven't come out too well - this might be a great change!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...