'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, March 3, 2012

Weekend Cooking

This post is linked to Beth Fish Reads: Weekend Cooking


Anne of Green Gables. Who doesn't love Anne?! I have loved Anne for years and years. She is a redhead, I was a redhead before I went gray:) She tugs at your heart strings and makes you laugh and cry with her. And what adventures she always got her self into. You wished you could go with her. Anne's life was always so full and oh how Matthew loved her! What a lucky girl she was. I have all the books, the movies, L.M. Montgomery's diary and an Anne of Green Gables Cookbook! This book has an introduction, cooking tips, cooking terms and 25 recipes. The illustrations are beautiful and there are quotes from the book on every page.


I picked this up at a gift shop in Niagara Falls, Ontario 11 yrs ago. I have not made anything out of it yet. I am waiting for my granddaughter Isa to be old enough to enjoy Anne also. Last year we watched all the Anne movies while she was here for her summer visit and she looked at all the books. I told her they were hers when she got old enough to read them and if she wanted them. She seemed excited about that. This summer Isa is 8 and we are going to cook from the cookbook! She stayed 3 wks. last year and has asked if she can stay as long as she wants this year maybe all summer. But this year her brother, Ian, who is 4 is coming too, so it all depends on how well Ian does with being away from home. We have loads of plans of things to do - Go to lake Erie for the day swimming, take my nephews on a treasure hunt with the GPS (the boys have never done that), Swim in the pool at Great Grandpa's apts. Go on bike rides and picnics, The Carnegie museum of natural history and see the dinosaurs. and if we are lucky we will get to go camping and take the vintage Tioga train ride over in Wellsboro PA. and maybe get to go to Laurel Caverns with nephews Steve and Sam. But most definitely we will cook from this cookbook. I wonder what we will make? Maybe we will have a tea party and invite Steve and Sam like Anne's tea party with her friend Diana! Remember the Raspberry Cordial! Here are a few of the recipes in the book..

"But it isn't good manners to tell your company what you are going to give them to eat, so I won't tell you what she said we could have to drink. Only it begins with an r and a c and it's a bright red color. I love bright red drinks, don't you? They taste twice as good as any other color."

Diana Barry's Favourite Raspberry Cordial

2 packages frozen unsweetened raspberries (600 g)
1 1/4 cups sugar (300mL)
4 cups boiling water (1 L)
3 lemons

You will need 
large saucepan
measuring cups
wooden spoon
potato masher
wire strainer 

1  Put the unthawed raspberries into the saucepan and add the sugar.
2  Cook over medium heat, stirring once in a while, for 20-25 minutes, until all the sugar has dissolved.
3  With the potato masher, mash the raspberries and syrup thoroughly.
4. Pour the mixture through the strainer, making sure you extract all the juice. Discard the pulp.
5. Squeeze 2 of the lemons and strain the juice. Add it to the raspberry juice.
6. Boil 4 cups of water and add it to the raspberry juice.
7. Let the raspberry cordial cool, then chill it in the refrigerator.
8. When the cordial is ready to serve, float a thin slice of lemon in each glass.

Poetical Egg Salad Sandwiches

4 eggs
1 celery stalk
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (45 mL)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2mL)
a pinch of pepper
1/4 cup softened butter (50mL)
2 tablespoons dried mint or dried parsley (30mL)
8 slices of fresh bread

You will need
small saucepan with lid
cold water
 knife for chopping
cutting board
small mixing bowl
fork
measuring spoons
measuring cups
small bowl
large cookie cutter (any shape)
small plastic bag
table knife

1/ In the small saucepan cover the eggs with cold water - at least 1 inch above the eggs. Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cover it. Let the eggs stand in the hot water for 25 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and put it under cold running water for 10 minutes to cool the eggs.
3. Meanwhile wash the celery stalk under cold running water. Chop it into tiny pieces on the cutting board.
4. Peel the eggs. Add them with the chopped celery to the small mixing bowl and mash them together with the fork.
5. Sir the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper into the egg mixture. Set the egg salad in the refrigerator.
6. Mix the softened butter with the dried min or parsley in the small bowl. Set it aside.
7. Cut each slice of bread with the large cookie cutter. Save the bread scraps in a little plastic bag for bread crumbs.
8. Butter one side of each bread shape with the minted butter. On half the bread shapes, spread the egg salad. Place the other half of the bread shapes on top. Makes 4 Poetical sandwiches.

"Diana, fancy if you can my extreme horror at finding a mouse drowned in that pudding sauce!" 

Caramel Pudding Sauce
(without the mouse!)

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (125mL)
1 1/2 tablespoons flour (25mL)
pinch of salt
1 cup boiling water (250mL)
1 tablespoon butter (15 mL)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (2 mL)

You will need
Measuring cups 
measuring spoons
small saucepan
wooden spoon

1  Combine the brown sugar, flour, and salt in the small saucepan.
2  Very gradually add the boiling water and stir with the wooden spoon.
3  Over low heat stir the mixture until it is thick and creamy about 5 minutes.
4  When the sauce is thick, remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the  butter and vanilla. Let the butter melt completely.
5  Serve warm over Marilla's Plum Pudding.

Marilla's Plum Pudding

1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup currants
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
some boiling water

You will need
1 qt. bowl or pudding mould
extra sugar for sprinkling
knife for chopping
cutting board
extra flour for sprinkling
large mixing bowl
measuring cups
measuring spoons
pastry blender
wooden spoon
small saucepan
small bowl
large pot with lid
aluminum foil
string 
canning rack*
toothpicks
oven mitts
*You can use a mason-jar ring Or a hollowed -out tuna-fish can

1. Grease the inside of the pudding mould or bowl, then sprinkle it with a bit of extra sugar. Shake the mould until the inside surface is covered with sugar.
2  Chop the raisins and currants with the knife. Sprinkle them with a little of the extra flour and set them aside.
3  Measure out the flour, sugar, bread crumbs, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the large bowl. Mix with the wooden spoon.
4  With the pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs.
5  Add the chopped raisins, currants, and walnuts to the flour mixture. Mi with the wooden spoon.
6  Pour 1/2 cup milk into the small saucepan and place it over low heat. when tiny bubbles form around the edge of the pot, the milk is ready.
7. Break the egg into the small bowl. then add it to the fruit and flour mixture. Add the hot milk and molasses. With the wooden spoon mix everything well.
8  Spoon the mixture into the pudding mould or bowl. Make a cover for the mould with 2 layers of aluminum foil and butter the side of the foil next to the pudding. Tie string around the foil cover to keep it tight.
9  Set the canning rack in the large pot. Set the covered pudding on top. Carefully pour some boiling water down the side of the large pot until it comes half way up the pudding mould.
10  Set the large pot over high heat until the water boils. Turn the heat down to medium low and put the lid on (if needed, add more water during the cooking.)
11  Steam the pudding for 3 hours. Insert a clean toothpick into the center of the pudding (right through the foil). If it comes out clean, the pudding is done. If pudding clings to the toothpick, check again in 15 minutes.
12  when the pudding is done, use oven mitts to remove it from the large pot. Remove the foil and let the pudding stand for 10 minutes.
13  Turn the pudding upside-down onto a warm platter. Serve it with Caramel Pudding Sauce.

Here are a couple of interesting links of you are an Anne lover...


Anne Of Green Gables

Shop at Sullivan

update: I am such a bad girl! I went to Still the Lovely vintage clothing site from the Shop at Sullivan site and bought an open front cardigan from the 1930's worn in the filming of 'The Wind at My Back'. It was on sale I couldn't resist! I am a sweater freak! Here it is...

24 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so overdue a read of Anne!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here Yvonne! Did you get your ebook of Anne for free? Project Gutenberg has lots of L.M. Montgomery for free!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try some of these Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a terrific summer! (And, I don't like Anne, she annoys me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like such a wonderful summer, for you and the kids :) I hope the little guy does well away from home so you can have fun with them! Nice recipes. That is a really pretty sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love that you are going to share Anne with your granddaughter! It looks like a very nice cookbook, too. You must be so anxious for summer to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it sounds like you have such wonderful plans for the summer. I've never taken that train to Wellsboro, but I love the town, the parks, and the grand canyon of that part of the state. You must make the raspberry cordial -- it's such a great scene from the book.

    I love your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberry cordial is definitely on our summer menu!

      Delete
  7. somehow I never caught the Anne bug, even though I have been to PEI. but the recipes still sound nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never been to PEI, but it is on our to do list. We got as far as Cape Breton. Thanks for stopping by Caite!

      Delete
  8. What a sweet post, Peggy .. a lovely tribute to a much beloved childhood story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peggy- Great post!! You guys will build great memories this summer. I want to try the raspberry cordial. It is so great you can swim in Lake Erie. You couldn't when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Libby Lake Erie has had its days that's for sure!

      Delete
  10. A lovely post which brings back memories of how much I loved the Anne books. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with your granddaughter trying the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you and your granddaughter will have a ball, cooking and sharing the stories. I feel like an egg sandwic right now.

    Love the vintage cardigan. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those sound wonderful. I want some poetical egg salad. And that sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Peggy,

    Love the cardigan, why shouldn't you be naughty once in a while? Vintage clothing is very popular in Frome, which is the small Somerset town where I live. There is quite a large bohemian population of artisans living in the local area and they just can't get enough of the vintage and retro clothing.

    I haven't read the 'Anne' books since I was a child and didn't know of the recipe book, which sounds delightful. Hopefully your grandaughter will love it as much as you do and that you have great fun making things from it together.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne and it was a once in a life-time chance at purchasing it!

      Delete
  14. I'm going to try your Egg Salad Sandwiches, and I hope you have a lovely summer vacation with your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun to be able to share that with your granddaughter. It'll be something she'll remember forever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like you're going to have a great summer. Are any of your grandchildren redheads? My hair is red with just some silver in it at the moment. I say I'm upgrading from gold to platinum! I love Anne - remember when she bought the hair dye because she hated her red hair and freckles - and her hair turned green. Lovely cardi, vintage is v. popular in Scotland too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I remember the hair dying scene! I wanted to dye my hair when I was a kid too because the red brought me too much attention and I was shy. Now I would give anything for it to be red again! Some neighbor boys called me the green haired girl because my hair was so obviously red I guess! None of my kids or grandkids have red hair. My one son has light brown with red hints and his face beard is fire engine red. Isn't that odd? Out of 30 grandkids with red on both my mom and dad's side I was the only red head. I have a lock of my hair from when it was red to show people when they don't believe me. It is pure white now. i never had freckles though.

      Delete
    2. I think red hair usually ends up a beautiful white, I'm quite looking forward to it. I was also very shy and preferred to blend in to the background, no chance with red hair! People shout 'ginger' at you and try to pick on you. My boys both had blond hair as kids, one has a red beard. My husband's two grannies were red heads too. I have one brother who had dark brown hair and a very red beard, but now he is white. It's common in Scotland for men to have a red beard but dark hair. There are no red heads so far amongst great nephews and nieces, I'm still waiting for grandkids!

      Delete
  17. Yummy recipes and what a fun cookbook. I think the Raspberry cordial would be yummy with some vodka and soda...:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...