'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Friday, March 9, 2012

Snobbery with Violence by Marion Chesney

Click on image to purchase
This was my first foray into Ms. Chesney's Edwardian mysteries. I have enjoyed all of her Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth books written under the name M.C. Beaton. It was a a decent mystery with decent characters, but I prefer the books written as M.C. Beaton. I did figure out the murderer before the end of the book. I thought it was pretty obvious. She went into detail about the rigamarole the poor women of that time had to go through to get dressed (thank goodness I was born when I was!). The effort that went into a girl's season or coming out to find a husband was ridiculous! And the belief that someone with Syphilis could be cured by having sex with a virgin is incredible! For that time period and the propriety that came along with it there sure was a lot of sneaking into rooms in the middle of the night and hanky panky going on in this book. I liked Rose, the main character. She pretty much was her own person and didn't conform to 'the image' of a proper young lady (but not by joining in the hanky panky) by having a mind of her own and having some intelligence. I have the second one in the series on the shelf so I will read it but I don't think I would bother to buy anymore of them. It was okay but not the greatest.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...