'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, February 25, 2012

Weekend Cooking

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking @ Beth Fish Reads

This is a quick easy recipe for when you just don't know what to make. You know, for those days your imagination just won't kick in. You will probably have all the ingredients on hand. I came across it in an issue of Taste of Home magazine years ago. We call it Chicken Scratch around here, not sure why except the corn and chickens eat corn? Weird I know! Sorry I don't have a picture of it. Hope you enjoy it.

Chicken Scratch

1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. cooked rice
2 c. chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can 16 oz. tomatoes with liquid, cut up
2 c. fresh, frozen or canned sweet corn
1 tbl. worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. crushes saltines
1/4 c butter melted

In a large skillet, brown beef and onion; drain. Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Pour into a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top.  Bake at 350* for 30 min.

Serves 6-8

If you have a green pepper chopped it up on the fine side and add too.

p.s.  I am not having very good luck with the bread thing yet. Raises really good but can't get tall loaves and the bottom of the loaves are a little denser than the top. Tastes good but... I think I am going to try another recipe and use white wheat instead of red and see. 

13 comments:

  1. ok, it is called Chicken Scratch...and contains no chicken...
    actually, it sounds good...maybe with the addition of a little cheese? And some garlic. What is onion, without garlic. they are like bulb-ish pals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do add garlic I seem to put it in everything!

      Delete
  2. It does sound good. I'd add garlic for sure and probably some oregano.

    The bread. Hummm. Try white wheat and see what happens. Wish I could be of help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your header is AWESOME!! It made me LOL!!!

    Chicken Scratch sounds really good. I'd add a bit of curry since I'm on a curry kick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name of the dish sure is funny! It sounds like a great what's-left-in-the-pantry-and-fridge recipe. I'd omit the beef and add beans I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your header. It's so cute.
    Chicken Scratch is such a cool name for a dish. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone who thinks your banner is cool! Also chicken scratch is a cute name for a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe looks like a good one to pass onto my sons at college- quick, easy and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting name for a recipe for sure! Sounds like one of those simple standby dishes when you want comfort food. Thanks for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the name and was surprised at no chicken but it would definitely go over very well here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first ingredient for chicken scratch is beef?! Sounds like a great comfort food meal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny name for that dish. I'd definitely like it with the green pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great winter meal. Satisfying and comforting!

    It is kind of funny that it's called Chicken Scratch when it's made with beef! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...