'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, February 11, 2012

Weekend Cooking

Linked to Beth Fish Reads



Look what I got for my Birthday! Thanks Mom! I have been wanting one to make bread with. I'm convinced I can make better bread with one of these. I did make Honey Whole Wheat bread with it and it turned out the best I've done so far. The first rise was beautiful but the rise in the pans didn't seem to do to well. The bread was light and delicious just not tall enough to make sandwiches with. Any tips on what I did wrong from any bread makers out there?

Now I am looking for bread recipes. If you have any that you really like link them up in a comment for me! Thanks!

Some Bread quotes:

"I judge a restaurant by the bread and by the coffee." --Burt Lancaster

"I am proud to be an American. Because an American can eat anything on the face of this earth as long as he has two pieces of bread." --Bill Cosby

"The sky is the daily bread of the eyes." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

"How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?"
--Julia Child

"Bread is like dresses, hats and shoes—in other words, essential!"--Emily Post

"Without bread all is misery."  --William Cobbett

"If thou tastest a crust of bread, thou tastest all the stars and all the heavens."  --Robert Browning

"Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts."  --James Beard

Interesting Bread Trivia

In 1943 sliced Bread was banned in the US. Read here to see why

In 1949 Bread was .14* a loaf

Peanut butter was first paired with jelly in a sandwich in the 1920s.

One bushel of wheat will produce 73 one-pound loaves of bread.

It takes 9 seconds for a combine to harvest enough wheat to make about 70 loaves of bread.

One bread superstition is that if you put a piece of bread in a baby's cradle, it will keep away disease.


Napoleon gave a common bread its name when he demanded a loaf of dark rye bread for his horse during the Prussian campaign. "Pain pour Nicole," he ordered, which meant "Bread for Nicole," his horse. To Germanic ears, the request sounded like "pumpernickel," which is the term we use today for this traditional loaf


and my favorite...
Legend has it that whoever eats the last piece of bread has to kiss the cook!





12 comments:

  1. Love the bread trivia and quotes- very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quotes and trivia, fun post! Athat is a fabulous birthday gift! Looking forward to more posts of what breads you'll be making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the bread quotes. How fun. Maybe the dough wasn't warm enough for the second rise? I'm not sure what the problem would be if the first rise was good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a serious mixer! Love all the bread quotes - look forward to following your further adventures in bread making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is the bread maker in the family and he doesn't use a mixer. Your present is gorgeous. I have serious envy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks like an industrial grade mixer. I don't bake bread, so I can't help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Peggy,

    My brother and his family clubbed together and bought my sister-in-law a beast similar to this for Christmas, although I don't think she has had much chance to use it yet.

    I have a failing for fresh bread, I have to say. I don't ever buy it though, because I know that I wouldn't be able to stop eating it, once I had started.

    Enjoy your week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too with fresh bread Yvonne. My hubby is always telling me my little middle age spread is from all the bread I eat. I will not give it up though:)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely birthday gift! Spookily I've just done a post on soda bread, no rising required though. In the past I've had some disasters with bread but I'm going to try again this week. I have difficulty finding a place warm enough for the bread to rise, which does result in flat bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little portable electric heater and I put it on in the extra bedroom and warm it up some and then rise the bread in there. It works pretty good. I think I have issues with over mixing or kneading.

      Delete
  9. Like Katrina I used to make soda bread. Haven't done any for a while. Your honey wholewheat bread sounds good. Share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...