'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. It is hosted by Kathy over at BermudaOnion's Weblog. If you've come across an interesting word or three this week in your reading, run on over to BermudaOnion's and grab the button, write a post and link up at her blog!  






My words are from the vintage mystery 'Murder at Shots Hall' 
by Maureen Sarsfield

'No one attempted to weed the rock garden, so, in time, it crawled with pallid convolvulus, which strangled everything in turn, except the hardiest of the fireflowers'   pg. 8


Convolvulus:
n.  Any of various mostly trailing or twining plants of the widespread genus Convolvulus, having funnel-shaped flowers and including several weeds and a few grown as ornamentals.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

'Bee raised her lorgnette, and even Arnoldson quailed beneath the basilisk stare, while Miss Merridew reduced her shrieks to quivering sniffs.'   pg. 32

Lorgnette:
n. A pair of eyeglasses or opera glasses with a short handle.

[French, from lorgner, to peer at, from Old French, from lorgne, squinting, of Germanic origin.]


Basilisk:



n.
1. A legendary serpent or dragon with lethal breath and glance.
2. Any of various tropical American lizards of the genus Basiliscus, characterized by a crest on the head, back, and tail and the ability to run on the hind legs.
 
basilisk stare; the tilted, faintly predatory posture
 
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Do you have any interesting words to share?

10 comments:

  1. Those are very interesting! I think a lot of people learned basilisk in Harry Potter, but the others were new to me.

    My words are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never known the name for lorgnettes! Not that I have one myself of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Lisa, I learned basilisk from Harry Potter. Happy to know the proper word for opera glasses though - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting word for opera glasses.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried saying convolvulus out loud. Very tough. It's probably why I just say those "gritty weed things." All interesting words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have learned basilisk from Harry Potter, but I didn't. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your wondrous words today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew convolvulus from an interest in morning glories. Great words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great words, and what a lovely blog! I will try to remember these words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew convolvulus from fighting with them! Lovely flowers but they choke everything else if you turn your back on them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...