'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Sunday, January 29, 2012

Weekend Cooking

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Read's
 Today is my brother's birthday celebration. His actual birthday is January 31st. For four days we will both be 53 and then I jump ahead again! Donald is blind. Born 3 months early, he has been blind from birth. He contracted Pseudomonas Aeruginosa in the womb, when left too long after the water broke. It attacks the eye virulently and totally destroys them when not caught early. There was an outbreak of this a few years back when the contacts you can leave in became popular and people were not keeping their eyes lubricated or changing the lens often enough.
  Donald has a great personality, positive attitude and great sense of humor. One time my brother-in-law made the comment 'Blind in one eye and can't see out the other' in front of Donald and Donald said 'I can't see out of either eye'. Tim thought he had offended him but when he looked over at Donald he was laughing. He gets a kick out of that kind of stuff. Another neat story is when the Dr. convinced my mom to put him in a home for the mentally retarded and after a year of separation she went up to see him and they didn't tell him she was coming because she wanted to be able to see him in his daily routine and environment. When she finally went up to him she just put his hands on her face so he could feel her and he said 'that's my momma'. She did take him home with her, he did not belong there. But they were good to him there and loved him tremendously. Everyone loves Donald!
  Donald has a fine motor skills impairment so he can't do things like put toothpaste on a brush, tie shoes, shave etc. so he can't be independent. He can't play the guitar, but he can play the drums like crazy and the piano pretty well. He has an excellent ear. 
  He loves cars and trucks and can tell you what engines every make has in them etc. He can tell what make and model a car is from the sound it makes when you turn the key and start the engine. If there's a knock or a ping in your engine he can tell you exactly what it is. It has always amazed us.  He reads books constantly too! He gets them on disc from the library for the blind and reads everyday. He just discovered Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books and loves them! Westerns are his favorite though. Donald loves Neil Diamond, vanilla ice cream, chocolate milk, and going anywhere your going.
  And this is linked to Weekend Cooking because.... Donald's favorite birthday cake of course!

Lemon Cake

1 lemon cake mix
3/4cup oil
4 eggs
3 oz. lemon Jello
1 cup boiling water
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tbls. lemon juice

Dissolve Jello in 1 cup boiling water
Mix cake mix, oil, egg
Add cooled Jello
Beat well
Bake in 9x13 pan at 350* 35-40 minutes
Mix glaze while cooking
Remove from oven and pierce cake with fork while hot, drip glaze over cake and cool.

This cake is so moist and gets better day after day!

Well I'm off to get the cake in the oven, and see to the spaghetti and meatballs (his favorite food!).

What are you cooking today?

11 comments:

  1. I'm a lemon freak, so this cake definitely sounds like a winner. I just finished up book 9 in the Sookie Stackhouse series, which I have also listened. What fun to be the same age as your brother for a couple of days. Say happy birthday for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Happy birthday, Donald! I wish you guys were local so you could tell me what on EARTH the deal is with my mini-van...

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, jello in the cake?! Does that keep it more moist? Sounds interesting, now I want to try it! I'll have to have a birthday for Donald too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Donald! And to you :) Your brother has great taste in cake, it sounds delicious. I love his musical taste, too, Neil Diamond is a favorite for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Say Happy Birthday to Donald (fine Scottish name) from me! He sounds like a great character. I'd like to try the cake, must see if you can get lemon cake mix here. There's only 11 months between my eldest brother and sister, sometimes they were in the same class at school, much to their horror.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Donald! It was nice getting to know more about him. My husband also knows all kinds of things about cars. They'd get along well :). That lemon cake sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Donald!

    I am looking at the ton of lemons on my tree and thinking I need a lemony treat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To everyone...Thanks for all the wonderful birthday wishes to Donald! Enjoy the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to Donald! That lemon cake seems delicious! No one else in my house (meaning The Boy really...) likes lemon treats, so I'd be on my own eating this one, but I'm sure I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful and lovely tribute Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Peggy,

    I love lemon cake, well actually I love cake of any kind ... and like yourself I get to be 54 this year. My husband is the same age as myself and our birthdays are one day apart ... he gets to be older for just a few hours. As we are both Gemini, there are four of us in this relationship, which sometimes gets a bit scary as we are both quite forceful people. We have been married for 33 years this year though, so it can't be all that bad.

    I do hope that Donald had a lovely day and your tribute to him was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...