'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Teaser Tuesday!

Teaser Tuesday is my favorite weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following: 


  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Opening lines from 'The House With the Green Shutters' by Scottish writer George Douglas Brown - published 1901

'The frowsy chambermaid of the 'Red Lion' had just finished washing the front door steps. She rose from her stooping posture and, being of slovenly habit, flung the water from her pail straight out, without moving from where she stood. The smooth round arch of the falling water glistened for a moment in mid-air. John Gourlay, standing in front of his new house at the head of the brae, could hear the swash of it when it fell. The morning was of perfect stillness.'




What are you reading this Tuesday? Go ahead tease me!

14 comments:

  1. Very descriptive (and long-winded)! I have two this week. One is from A Werewolf in Manhattan by Vicki Lewis Thompson and the other if from Charmfall by Chloe Neill. Coincidentally, they both have werewolves. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely passage. That would draw me right into the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a descriptive teaser. As much as I love historical romances, I've never actually read a book that was published so early on. Looks like I may be missing a totally different style of writing because that was awesome.

    My Teaser
    I am also on a Blog Hop right now so please feel free to enter to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card (US/CAD) if that interests you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a romance reader myself but I have found that the 'old' books are quite grand. If you have an ereader you can get lots of old books for free from Project Gutenberg at gutenberg.org. Elizabeth Gaskell is one author I have read and she has delightful romances.

      Delete
  4. Also, I love your Niagara Falls picture. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great opening. Nothing can beat a well written classic. And i don't know this one so thank you for sharing it. :)

    My teaser is from
    The Map of Time

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely teaser! It's so nice when a book has a strong, intriguing opener. Hope the rest is as interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd fling the water straight out too, but probably because it seems a bit fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your books choices -- such a great change of pace from the YA paranormal that seems to dominate these days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Thank you for visiting my blog!

    The House With the Green Shutters sounds like something I might enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read this book but after your teaser I think I have to try it! And your photo of the Falls is so beautiful (and very cold!). I live a few hours from there and it is an amazing sight! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Wrighty! It is amazing, we live about 4 hrs. but go once a year and it is something you never tire of looking at! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. It intrigued me enough to go look it up, but even for 0¢ I don't think I want to read it.
    Your banner picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great teaser sentence. And I love your new header picture :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...