'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, December 17, 2011

Weekend Cooking

Stella Blue


Christmas has gone to the Dogs!
Our faithful loving companions
need a Christmas treat too!






Peanut Butter Treats

1 1/2 C. flour divided (save 1/2 c. for working with dough at end)
1/2 C. water
3/4 C. Oatmeal
1/2 C. Oil
1/2 C. Honey or Molasses
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
Wheat Germ
Preheat oven 350*

Work dough on floured board and roll out and cut into shapes sprinkle top w/wheat germ

Bake 18-20 minutes


Spot's Golden Cheese Dreams

3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 c. shredded cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk

Preheat oven to 400*
In a large mixing bowl combine flour and garlic powder. Make a well in the flour mixture and gradually stir in vegetable oil, cheese, beaten egg and milk until well blended. Knead dough on a floured surface for 3-4 min.. Roll dough 1/2 in. thick, cut with biscuit cutters and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 25 min. cool on a rack and store in a container with a loose fitting lid. 
Makes 60 using small biscuit cutter.


Or if you would rather not make from scratch you can get pre-made dog biscuit mix at King Arthur Flour!
Wendy the Wonderdog






Making sure she doesn't miss Santa!










Notice there are no ornaments around the lower portion of the tree...dog's tails kept throwing them off so we just took them off! We had 4 retrievers in a very small house that Christmas. It was very interesting! We are one of those 'crazy dog people' families.





This post is linked to Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking. Be sure to stop over there and check out all the great posts!

13 comments:

  1. Love the photo of her under the tree!! So adorable!!

    My dog is a SUPER picky eater, but does love anything peanut butter flavored. I'll have to try these!
    Here's My Weekend Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. I had to take down my tree as my cat was eating the branches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to be in a house with crazy dog people! And I know what you mean about those wagging tails. Sweet photos!

    What a great idea to make your own doggie treats. So much healthier. I've seen that King Arthur mix, but I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!! Our town has a "Christmas Walk" every December. The village tree is lit for the first time and many non-profit groups set up booths selling everything from hot chocolate to wreaths. During my years as a Girl Scout leader, we always sold homemade dog treats packaged for the holiday season. They were a huge hit and we sold out every year. Think we'll whip up a batch of your special treats for Zelda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those both sound like my Murchie's idea of heaven! He's a peanut butter- and cheese-loving kind of a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add my dog to the peanut butter lovers list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, crazy dog people! We are, too, three of them, all sizes and they would love those treats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had a dog (and I wish I did) I would definitely makes these for a Christmas treat and to say thank you for being such a good and faithful companion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pictures. I wish I had a dog to make those treats for. Looks like my friends’ dogs could be the winners here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're good to remember our four-legged friends during the holidays! I don't have a pup to make these for (much to my children's dismay!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, wonderful dogs! I had four dogs once for all too short a time, and felt like the Queen when I'd take them all walking in the woods. I now have one, but hope someday to have two or three.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've pinned this post to my "Recipe" board on Pinterest!! I can't wait to try these!! Layla will be thrilled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We put only plastic ornaments on the bottom half of our tree also, so that tails couldn't cause a mess. But she ate them instead. She was up to about 10 ornaments before she got banished to the porch while we're gone. When we're in the room she never even acts like she sees the tree.

    She also ate about $60 worth of gifts that I then had to re-buy. Good thing we love that dog!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...