'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Sunday, December 4, 2011

Weekend Cooking


One Christmas favorite and one new one I'm trying this year!

Christmas Candy Popcorn
Family Favorite!
8 qts plain popped popcorn                     
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 package (9 oz.) red-hot candies

Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside. In a saucepan, combine butter, corn syrup and candies; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over popcorn and mix thoroughly. Turn into two greased 15 x 10 x 1 in. baking pans. Bake at 250* for 1 hour, stirring every 15 min.. Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool. Break apart; store in airtight containers or plastic bags. Yield 8 qts.

I got this recipe from an old edition of Taste of Home magazine. My kids love this and look forward to it each year. The red-hot candies can be a little hard to find so when you see them in the store grab up a bag. Valentine season is a good time to find them. They keep forever.


Marshmallow Puffs
36 large marshmallows
Trying new this year!
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter  (I think I'll use smooth don't like chunky!)
2 tbls. butter
Line a 9" square pan with foil; butter the foil. Arrange marshmallows in pan. In a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Pour over the marshmallows. Chill completely. Cut between marshmallows. 
Yield 3 dozen

This one is also from that old edition of Taste of Home magazine!


This post is linked to BETH FISH READS where Beth host a weekly Weekend Cooking post. Stop on over and check out Beth's blog and all the great links to this post!

Leave a comment and a link to your cooking post!

6 comments:

  1. I love red hots!

    Cool that you found your copy of How to Cook Everything! I love it when I find something and I didn't know anymore that I had it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sound good. I'll bet they both would be hits with my gang! I love the old Taste of home magazine but since Reader's Digest took it over, I am not a fan. Good thing I kept my old magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's my kind of candy corn - I love red hot candies! Taste of Home also has some of my favorite cookie recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that, I stock up on the red hots! I use them for cinnamon apples, but have to try the popcorn recipe, looks so good! So do the Puffs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoever thought to put redhots in popcorn! Yum!! My coworker made candycane popcorn last year, but I like cinnamon much better than peppermint.

    By the way--your header picture is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both look like wonderful treats. My nephew loves those cinnamon hearts. he'd love them this way as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...