'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Monday, December 12, 2011

The Secret of Lies


'Maybe its the raw brilliance of the pale white moon suspended in a hard black sky that somehow makes everything about this night feel harsher. Uglier. Failing to soften what now seems especially unconscionable'

Those are the opening lines to 'The Secret of Lies' and it only gets better from there! Barbara Forte Abate's novel is beautifully written. She has a way with words.

Book summary:
'Propelled by an insurmountable sense of desperation, Stevie Burke is
recklessly abandoning home, husband, and outwardly contented life
under cover of night; at last resigned to defeat in her long battle
against the tortured memories of her past.

Days later, lost and floundering in a dreary motel room without plan

or destination, it is a long ago song playing on the radio that gently
tugs Stevie back through the dust of remembrance.  1957 – The last
summer spent at the ancient house overlooking the North Atlantic.  A
season which had unfolded with abundant promise, but then spiraled
horribly out of control – torn apart by a shattering tragedy that
remains splintered in fragments upon her soul.  And it is only now,
when Stevie at last lifts her eyes to stare deep into the heart of her
long sequestered memories, that the long held secrets of past and
future are at last unveiled...




This is a well written, character driven story. Ms. Abate draws you in and your hooked! You'll like Stevie and feel like you are there with her on the beach. I couldn't put the book down. I had to find out what the secrets were and how they effected the future. I was not disappointed! I highly recommend this book. Trust me - go out and get it and read it. Let me know what you think!

I'll be waiting for more from this author!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy,

    This sounds like a great debut novel, from a new author that I am sure we shall see more of.

    The emotion and the sense of desolation in the storyline seems to be mirrored in the choice of cover art and you obviously enjoyed reading it, so thanks for the recommendation.

    Enjoy the rest of your week,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like lies and secrets in real life, but I sure do love them in books! This sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Peggy, thank you for stopping by at my blog and leaving a comment!
    This book really sounds like a gripping read, perfect for the time off I have between Christmas and New Year. I am going to check out my town's library online catalogue to see whether they stock it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...