'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cookies and Mystery

Today I baked pizzelles for Christmas. My mom's favorite.  I never get the 60 that the recipe says I should get though. I did a little research on the internet and found out most pizzelle irons make 3 in. cookies, mine makes 4 in. that must be the reason. I think I put too much batter on each one too. There must be a technique to this. Oh well practice makes perfect, but gosh I'm gonna have to get a couple chickens if I keep this up! 
             

Classic Pizzelle
6 eggs
3 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbls. vanilla essence or a drop of anise oil
1 c. butter
2 tsp. baking powder

Melt butter on a low heat in a small sauce pan. Beat eggs in a large bowl and add vanilla essence (or drop of anise oil). Add sugar to the egg mixture and beat well. After butter has melted, allow to cool slightly and then add to egg and sugar mixture. Sift in flour and baking powder into the wet mixture, stirring well to ensure all flour is completely mixed. The batter will be stiff. Bake using pizzelle iron. Full batch will make about 60 cookies


You can substitute any extract you want for the vanilla. If using flavored oil just a drop.

Watched a great episode of Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence..Partners in Crime on netflix while I baked these and now on to the ginger snaps and an episode of Dick Francis Thriller: The Racing Game!

2 comments:

  1. Oh these cookies are simply gorgeous! Not sure I've ever had a pizzelle before but I have seen the appliance at the home stores recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cookies! And I'm sure they taste just as wonderful. I've never had one of these, but they look like fun to make.

    Love that you're watching mysteries while you bake. I did my Christmas baking with Christmas movies playing - but the mysteries might have held my attention better.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...