'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, November 5, 2011

Weekend Cooking

I found this recipe in the Sunday Parade magazine a couple of weeks ago. We had it for dinner Friday night and it was wonderful! Pretty easy to make and only a few ingredients. Sputnik isn't the real name of the recipe but that's what Rachel Bilson's family call it and after so many years they can't remember what it is really called. Check out this link to Read Rachel's explanation of how the meal got its name: Dash Recipes    Rachel is an actress in 'Hart of Dixie' a new CW medical drama


Chicken Sputnik         

Ingredients:
  • 1 large chicken, cut into serving pieces
  • Salt and pepper
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 Tbsp butter (1/4 stick)
  • 2 large onions, sliced ½ inch thick
  • 5 large potatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
  • ¾ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (Locatelli brand preferred)
  • 1 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
  • ¾ cup dry sherry
  • 1½ cups homemade chicken broth
Directions:
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat it with flour.
2. In a Dutch oven, sauté the chicken in butter until it is golden.
3. Layer the onions and potatoes on top of the chicken. Top with the cheese, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the sherry and chicken broth. Cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.

Rachel's Tips: “Slice the onions and potatoes nice and thin so they soften during cooking.” “If you substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts, use half a cup (or one stick) of butter.” “Sauté the chicken on medium-low to keep it from burning.” “This dish requires a lot of stirring and attention. Stir it often so it doesn’t stick.”

My tips: I did not cook this dish on top of the stove, I put it in a 350* oven for one hour and then finished it on top of the stove for the last hour (and I did not stir it). I did slice the onions and potatoes about 1/2 inches thick and they were very tender as was the chicken! The broth was thick and golden. I used white wine instead of sherry as that's all I had in the house.

Happy Cooking!

This post is linked to Weekend Cooking a weekly feature at Beth Fish Reads.It is open to anyone who has any kind of food related post to share. Could be a cookbook review, a recipe, a quote about food, a picture, as long as it is about food! Join in, its lots of fun!


Remember, leave a comment and a link to your site!

6 comments:

  1. yes, the oven is often your friend with a recipe like this. Saves a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree -- the oven is a good move for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that you get such a lovely looking dish and there aren't that many ingredients to gather to prepare it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very tasty, and few dishes for clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have saved this same recipe too. I thought it looked like on my family would like. I love the tip of using the oven. Much easier! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought two whole chickens at the store. This is a great way to use one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...