'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, November 26, 2011

Saturdays are for Sharing!

Maryland
We went to my son and daughter-in-law's new house this last weekend. It is their first foray into home ownership. You'll never believe what they got with the house! A cemetery! Yep an old, old one. Complete with a wrought iron fence around it and everything. The fence is rusty and the gate is barely hanging on by one hinge, so you have to be ever so careful when you open it. It was completely grown over with very tall briars and they didn't even realize it was there, but they are kinda tickled that it is. And so am I, I have always loved old cemeteries. The stones are always so beautiful with nice poems and sayings. They got busy and cleaned it out before I got there so I could see the stones. We weren't sure how many, too hard to see thru the briars. It's not very large. The previous owners set a storage barn right in front of it, probably trying to hide it :). We were surprised it has 4 graves in it. One is a tiny 5 day old baby's grave . It's off to the left side out of view here.


The nicest surprise was the dates on the stones! 
The father, John Lauderbach was born in 1754 and died in 1834 and the mother, Susan Lauderbach was born in 1756 and died in 1818! They were born before we were even a nation! Her stone is very worn and very hard to read, but his is in very good shape even has a little poem on it. I did not write it down :( so I can't remember it all right now. Then there is the brother Henry born 1803  died 1839 and then the little baby Susan Spencer it looks like. Her stone is very small and very worn. all of the graves have headstones and footstones.



On John's stone it reads...
Our Father has gone to the mansion of rest
from a region of suffering and pain
'something' for a land the Deity blest
'something' he never will suffer again

Here's the baby's grave  ------------------->

My beautiful daughter-in-law will work her magic next spring and have lovely flowers growing on their graves. And it will be fun to see if we can track down any information about these people!

We had a great weekend with the kids, celebrated grandpa's birthday with them, went to a Christmas craft show and best of all we slept on an air mattress in Isa's room and Ian slept with her so we had a great slumber party at bedtime! Even the dog, Selah sleeps with me when I come and first thing in the morning we had a bed full! A bed full of giggles and love!

Took Ian a new book 'Pete the Cat: I Love My New Shoes' comes with a MP3 download for a song of the story being read. What fun we had with that!

This would make a great Christmas gift if you have small children.
Click on the book cover to go to amazon and check it out!

And sing along with the video! Of course we got much rowdier than this crowd did!






Have a great Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Their house looks great, so American and it's like something out of an old film to have a cemetery with the house. Some people would be put off by it, but like you I like cemeteries. Hope you can look them up.
    Souds like a great time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating thing to find in your yard. If it were my house I would have to research these people and learn about their lives. They almost feel like family - being right there in the yard and all. :)

    Glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Peggy, welcome to my blog as my latest reader! Wow, to have your own cemetery on the land surrounding your house - that would never happen in Germany, where cemeteries exclusively belong to communities and are never private property; regulations here are quite different. My mother and I have a thing for cemeteries and love visiting them, they are, to us, such good places to walk in and ponder.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...