'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, November 5, 2011

Saturdays are for Sharing!


The Reading Tree

'What a lovely spot to read!', I said and sat down!
We were hiking in the Smoky Mountains the week of Oct. 16th and my husband wanted to go further up and I said no this looks like a good place to read and took my water and my ereader out of the backpack and said see you when you come back down! I had an hour and half of extra reading time as he trudge on! I did keep my eyes out for black bears though! Don't know what I would have done if one had come along! Hoped he liked Penny Plain, I guess!

We did have a great time in the Smokies. The weather was nice, ranged from 84* and sunny to 32* and frosty that week. So we got to swim and lay out at the pool,bundle up and walk in the woods and play scrabble by the fireplace at night (I won 5 games to 3!). The fall foliage was nice and one morning we had really heavy frost and went up to Clingman's Dome and took pictures.
Primitive Road
We had one Grand Adventure on our last day there. We took a primitive road out of Cade's Cove to the highway. WOW! what a road! Sign said travel at your own risk, limited emergency vehicles available. It was 8 miles one way to rt. 129. did I mention it was primitive? We were in our Taurus Station Wagon, no 4 WD. Very windy and steep with lots of edges to fall off of. Did I mention my one fear is edges :) It was getting dusk and the gate at the end of the road would be closed at dark. There were big rocks in the road, a couple really muddy spots, the curves, the edges, holes to go around and then we got to a creek - we had to just drive thru it! They did have concrete for us to pass thru the creek Phew! We had several creeks to go thru. I just knew we would get stuck in the mud and be stranded out there all night with bears and who knew what else! But we did get to see a very large owl perched on a branch very close to the car and we stopped and watched it for awhile and I really enjoyed that. The closer we got to the end of the road the more I relaxed and we did have a great time laughing and cutting up on this very long 8 mile journey. Turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip. I would not want to go in the spring with the snow melt rushing thru those creeks though!
Isn't this beautiful?
Elkmont Cabins

We also came upon an old summer resort area while hiking one day that was built in the early 1900's. They have sat empty and forlorn for decades and it was like happening onto a ghost town. It was a real treat to wander around the forgotten cabins with the doors standing open and porches falling off and roofs caving in. Of course we weren't suppose to go inside, signs posted on them. They are going to restore them for historical purposes in the future. Then we may be able to roam around inside them!

My mother's people are from Appalachia, about an hour north of the Smokies. So its kinda like going home when we go there. My mom lived in East Tenn. while my boys were growing up and some of their fondest memories are from there. I love the mountains (even if I am terrified of the roads!) and the people are some of the friendliest in world. If you've never been to the Smokies, put it on your to do list!

Mary Noailles Murfree (also wrote under the name Charles Egbert Craddock) considered by many to be Appalachia's first significant female writers. She depicts the mountain and Appalachian life in her novels. Many of her works have been formatted into digital format and are available free on Project Gutenberg I have added a few to my ereader! They are available in printed format also on Amazon. I'm looking forward to reading 'His Unquiet Ghost' from 1911!

3 comments:

  1. Penny Plain!! I have quite recently discovered O. Douglas/Anna Buchan and I love what I've read so far. I've written about three of them on the blog. If you are interested, go to the 'authors' tab, and scroll down. I'd love to hear what else you've read. I've just 'bought' PP and The Setons for the Kindle. Thanks for letting me know her work was available there. I've never thought to look.
    A Kentucky blogger told me about Janice Holt Giles. Have you read her work?
    http://www.gilessociety.org/
    I haven't yet, but want to do so.
    I wonder if the road you were on was one of the old bootlegger roads? :<)
    Oh, and I saw the Hollyhocks & Radishes book on the sidebar. I have a copy! I've posted a few recipes on the blog from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos of your time in the Smokies!

    I'm one to find a quiet reading spot anywhere, but I'm not sure I would have sat there alone, if there were bears in the area. You're braver than I :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy,

    What some great photos and a fantastic sounding trip.

    We have been subjected to a journey like you describe, in Switzerland, only we were on the first postal coach to cross the three mountain passes after the winter. The road had literally been cut through the ice, which was banked about thirty feet high to one side of us. On the other side was a sheer drop of thousands of feet and as we went around the many hair-pin bends, the coaches wheels were literally hanging over the cliff edge.

    The only other such scary journey, was the return journey back to Interlaken, by the same route!!!

    Lovely post and great to put a face to the name.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...