'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. It is hosted by Kathy over at BermudaOnion's Weblog. If you've come across an interesting word or three this week in your reading, run on over to BermudaOnion's and grab the button, write a post and link up at her blog!

My words are found in 'A Double Death on the Black Isle' by A.D. Scott


'Joanne had been meaning to call Patricia, but first she needed to don an armor-plated carapace of confidence to deal with her oldest friend.'  pg. 17

car·a·pace  n.

1. Zoology A hard bony or chitinous outer covering, such as the fused dorsal plates of a turtle or the portion of the exoskeleton covering the head and thorax of a crustacean.
2. A protective, shell-like covering likened to that of a turtle or crustacean
 _______________________________________________________________
'He knew that she saw herself as the chatelaine of all she surveyed.'  pg. 128
chat·e·laine  n.

1.
a. The mistress of a castle.
b. The mistress of a large, fashionable household.
2. A clasp or chain worn at the waist for holding keys, a purse, or a watch.
_________________________________________________________________


'But right now, he was needed; to Rob, nothing was sacrosanct if it meant a good story.' pg. 144 

sac·ro·sanct  adj.

Regarded as sacred and inviolable.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

10 comments:

  1. Carapace is a wonderful word. I knew Chateleine (it's a kd lang song, and magazine in Canada, or at least it was, not sure if it still is), and I'd forgotten the meaning if I ever knew it. Perhaps if I ever have the need for a business card, I'll just use Chateleine under my name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt I've ever used chatelaine, but I knew what it meant when I saw it used in that sentence. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the use of chatelaine. I know it only as the bracelet and not as the mistress of a large house or castle.

    I'd love your recipe for hoecakes as you mentioned over at Annie's place. You might want to consider making a post of it. There is a wonderful weekly meme for book bloggers who also like to cook or read food books over at BethFishReads. It's every Weekend. Here's the link: http://bethfishreads.com Or my email address is margot dot peck at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words, I've heard of sacrosanct before.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/wondrous-words-wednesday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carapace was the only stumbling block for me here. I'd heard it, but couldn't remember for the life of me what it meant.
    JNCL
    The Beauty of Eclecticism

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew the last two but not the first.

    Great words today Peggy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week, all the words I read in the different posts are the same in French ! Here, capace, chatelaine et sacrosaint ! Soon I'll really speak English !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an outstanding blog.

    I would like to be an e-mail subscriber...is that possible?

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew carapace from giving turtle programs to toddlers at a nature center -- it's always fun to teach them one big word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a biology major back in my college days, I should know what 'carapace' means. But no, I don't remember it. It's a good word though.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...