'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, October 8, 2011

Saturdays are for Sharing!


Went to Harbor Springs MI. week before last. What a beautiful place! I could have stayed forever. Lake Michigan is so blue and clear. This is a pic taken from the dock at the harbor looking straight down, see how clear you can see the sea grass growing all around?




Walked the shore @ Petoskey State Park looking for Petoskey stones and wading in the water. Might have found a stone, not really sure have to polish it to see!


Took a ride up to Mackinaw City and saw McGulpin Lighthouse and the Mackinac Bridge, what an amazing feat of engineering that is! Old Mackinac Point Light and Charlevoix South Pier light were really nice too.
McGulpin Light
Old Mackinac Point light


Mackinac Bridge










Charlevoix South Pier Light









Lots of shopping of course in Charlevoix, Petoskey, and Harbor Springs. Visited Cherry Republic, mmm best dried cherries in the world. Spent time petting an Irish Wolfhound named Sorcha. Quite a dog breed there! Saw the worlds largest cherry pie, ate delicious perogies at the Polish Cuisine restaurant, drove thru the Tunnel of Trees, ate Lake Michigan whitefish twice!  And last but not least, we stopped off at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore and watched people climb back up the giant dune from the lake edge. What a climb that is! There is a sign that warns you of its dangers and if you need rescued you will be charged! Look close and you will see a man on the dune and he has his small son riding on his back!









A good time was had by all and I highly recommend this area for your next vacation!





Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore


I forgot to mention that I did get
3 1/2 books read this week of
vacation too!

Here is a great series set in the Upper Peninsula of MI. They are mysteries and involve a Labrador Retriever search dog to boot!

Rock Harbor Series by Colleen Coble





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

    Brenda
    www.fourleggedmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Gorgeous - you're so lucky to be able to visit these places. Living my whole life in land-locked Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado, I've never seen an ocean, but it's #1 on my bucket list just as soon as we get done paying for two kids in college. :)

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I love finding new bloggers in the "not 40 any more" category, and also fellow book lovers. I'm adding this site to my reader as well as your joint site where you posted 6-word-Saturday.

    Look forward to trading book opinions with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy,

    What some fantastic shots and beautiful scenery.

    Where we live, we are not too far from the coast, but cannot boast such fantastic beaches as yours. Our coastline is more rugged, although we have our fair share of lighthouses and piers are a pretty common sight.

    That looks like quite a heafty climb up that dune, not something I would recommend carrying a child, pretty foolhardy I should think.

    People always seem to underestimate the power of the elements. Our RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution) and Mountain Rescue, both of which are mostly voluntary members, are always stretched to capacity at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peggy,

    Just saw your reply and feel a little stupid, 'coz I did read the post honestly. Obviously having one of those 'blonde' moments, which us non-blondes are also quite prone to.

    I obviously picked out the line 'Sleeping Bears Dune National Seashore', 'seashore' would denote the coast over here, whereas anything around a lake would be 'lakeside' and made the rest up in my mind!!

    If we are talking lakes, then nothing could compare with that beautiful scene. We do have some beautiful lakes in 'The Lake District', but they would be the size of pinpricks compared with your views and would typically be surrounded by mountains or trees.

    I promise to do better next time.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peggy,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Harbor Springs to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...