'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. It is hosted by Kathy over at BermudaOnion's Weblog. If you've come across an interesting word or three this week in your reading, run on over to BermudaOnion's and grab the button, write a post and link up at her blog!




What a wealth of unusual, old words I found in 'The Mystery of 31 New Inn' by R. Austin Freeman, published in 1912! Here are a few of them!



'Though the full enjoyment of the matutinal pipe precluded fluent conversation' pg. 89  

ma·tu·ti·nal    adj.

Of, relating to, or occurring in the morning; early.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

___________________________________________________________________

'The harsh rattle of granite setts, the soft bumpiness of macadam, the smooth rumble of wood-pavement,'   pg. 7

mac·ad·am     n.

Pavement made of layers of compacted broken stone, now usually bound with tar or asphalt. 
[After John Loudon Mcadam (1756-1836), Scottish civil engineer.]
___________________________________________________________________________________
'With a muttered anathema of the unknown Mr. Graves and the unrestful life of a locum tenens, I stepped into the uninviting vehicle.'   pg. 6
lo·cum te·nens      n.

A person, especially a physician or cleric, who substitutes temporarily for another.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

__________________________________________________________________

'His eyebrows were large and beetling, overhanging deep set eyes,'    pg.13

beetle  adj.

Jutting; overhanging: beetle brows.
intr.v. bee·tled, bee·tling, bee·tles
To jut; overhang: "The rocks often beetled over the road" 

[From Middle English bitel-brouwed, grim-browed : bitel, sharp (probably from Old English *bitol, biting, from Old English bite, bite; see bit2) + brouwed (from brow, brow; see brow).]





5 comments:

  1. I knew macadam - maybe because I'm married to an engineer? I've seen the phrase beetle brow, but never really thought about what it meant. I'll have to remember that beetle has another meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matutinal makes sense - le matin is French for morning. Great words! If you get a chance, mine are here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew the word macadam, but not the others.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/wondrous-words-wednesday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peggy,

    Some great words there and after sneaking a peek at the bok synopsis, I have already added it to my reading list.

    The only word I am unfamiliar with is 'matutinal', although as Julie pointed out, it makes sense when you think about the French for morning. I really shall have to remember that one for the future, as I am very much a morning person, usually up and about by 5am, and find that this is my favourite time of day to grab a quiet half hour with a book and a good mug of black coffee.

    Over here in the UK we usually refer to 'macadam' as 'tarmacadam', or as we are essentially lazy people, 'tarmac' for short.

    LOL,

    Nice to 'meet' you, love the site, I am already a new follower,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you joined Wondrous Words Wednesday. Otherwise I might never have discovered you nice blog and you. Your new words give me a little peek at a new-to-me book. It sounds like something I would enjoy. Nice to "meet" you. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...