'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. It is hosted by Kathy over at BermudaOnion's Weblog. If you've come across an interesting word or three this week in your reading run on over to BermudaOnion's and grab the button, write a post and link up at her blog!


from 'The Professor's Mystery' by Wells Hasting 

'I went to bed with my natural pleasure in the unexpected surfeited into a baffled irritation.'   pg. 39

Surfeit   vb
1. (tr) to supply or feed excessively; satiate
2. (intr) Archaic to eat, drink, or be supplied to excess
3. (intr) Obsolete to feel uncomfortable as a consequence of overindulgence
[from French sourfait, from sourfaire to overdo, from sur-1 + faire, from Latin facere to do]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'While no judgment restrains or questions the vagaries of imagination;'  pg. 18

vagary    n pl -garies
an erratic or outlandish notion or action; whim
[probably from Latin vagārī to roam; compare Latin vagus vague]
----------------------------------------------------------------
from 'The Mysterious Key and What it Opened' by Louisa May Alcott  

'What did you say to him? I longed to hear, for you seemed to enjoy yourselves very much, but I didn't like to be a marplot.'   pg. 21 chapter 5

mar·plot   n.
An officious meddler whose interference compromises the success of an undertaking.


Leave a comment and a link!

4 comments:

  1. I've seen surfeit before, but couldn't have defined it. The other two words are new to me. I'm wondering if I can work marplot into a conversation. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "marplot". Great words. If you get a chance, my words are here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love marplot too and hope to work it into a conversation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marplot is a good one, never heard of surfeit.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...