'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Thursday, August 25, 2011

Booking Through Thursday

hosted by:Booking Through Thursday
Today's topic: History

Sometimes I feel like the only person I know who finds reading history fascinating. It’s so full of amazing-yet-true stories of people driven to the edge and how they reacted to it. I keep telling friends that a good history book (as opposed to some of those textbooks in school that are all lists and dates) does everything a good novel does–it grips you with real characters doing amazing things.
Am I REALLY the only person who feels this way? When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL.
I do love history but seem to read more fiction than not but I did really enjoy a 3 volume series on American History that is still on my 'never part with' shelf!  

'The Light and the Glory', 'From Sea to Shining Sea', and 'Sounding Forth the Trumpet'   by Peter Marshall and David Manuel

These three books cover Columbus to the Civil War. These books come at our history from a different angle...our history from God's point of view. I learned more about how our government was founded and how the constitution works and the house and the senate than I ever did in school. Then how the great revivals helped shape who we are as a nation and then on to the Civil War. I felt very proud of our nation and the people who fought to make us what we are. In these times we live in right now I think this is a must read!

"Those who forget America's History are not doomed to repeat it. They are just doomed. The authors again remind us of the things we've left behind and admonish us to go back and pick them up."  Cal Thomas, syndicated columnist   

"The Light and the Glory reveals our true national heritage and inspires us to stay on God's course as a nation."  Tim LaHaye, author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...