'I am simply a 'book drunkard.' Books have the same irresistible temptation for me that liquor has for its devotee. I cannot withstand them.' L.M. Montgomery

'There are no faster or firmer friendships than those formed between people who love the same books.' Irving Stone



Saturday, July 30, 2011

Old Books

Made a trip to an old, old book store today. No the store isn't old, the books in it are old;) Haven't been in quite a while. Its one of those stores you need all day to roam around in. Very cluttered, not to well organized, books absolutely everywhere. Cheryl and I were so looking forward to this trip all week. Got there and it is no longer a book store...it is a thrift store with quite a few of the old books left and they were moved to the basement. Old books - musty, damp basement. You can imagine right? It literally stung our eyes down there. Couldn't stay down there long. Found two books I was interested in... 'The Haunted Bookshop' by Christopher Morley. It was written in 1919. This was a very old copy and very musty and yucky and they wanted $20 so I passed. Glad I did, found it on amazon for much less. First Edition, 'Bridge of Newgate' by John Dickson Carr and at the last minute I passed on it also. That one I will probably regret:( To be honest we just wanted to get out of there! Oh well the day was still a nice day, good company and lunch at Bob Evans, I love their yeast rolls!

I did pick up an ereader at Borders for a great price though during their going out of business sale. Project Gutenberg has lots of great ebooks for free. They are mostly old books that copyrights are expired or non-existent. I've picked up 5 great vintage mysteries there so far. Nothing compares though with holding a real paper book and turning real pages!

I am doing a book challenge - I have to read 15 vintage mysteries (published before 1960) by the end of the year. I've got 7 read and half way thru the 8th. I am really enjoying this! I have to learn how to post these challenges on this blog.
Off to get comfy and curl up with Miss Silver in Tilling Green! Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...